Monday, February 4, 2008

Buzzing around

I swear, every time I feel like I am in a rhythm with blogging, something seems to disrupt me. It's almost like when you're determined to get back to the gym and feel great about going for a few days and then are stuck in meetings for the rest of the week. But you just keep plugging away, hoping one day you'll get it. Whether it is a great body or a great blog, it doesn't matter.

I was chatting to my girlfriends in my online community. A few of them hit the nail on the head as for what I've been feeling: Burnout

In short, the signs of burnout tend to be more mental than physical. They can include feelings of:

  • Powerlessness
  • Hopelessness
  • Emotional exhaustion
  • Detachment
  • Isolation
  • Irritability
  • Frustration
  • Being trapped
  • Failure
  • Despair
  • Cynicism
  • Apathy
Let's see: check, check, check...oh yeah, big check on that irritability factor. Being crusty is something that is new to me, and that I've disliked in other people, but noticed myself creepily enjoying.

So the girls say to make sure to treat yourself to something good every day. I don't feel that I have time to do that, really. I can't just conk out for an hour to go and catch up on the latest celebrity goss, or whatever treating yourself is. But I've been slowly trying to give myself a bit of time. In fact, I've quite literally recognized that I will go crazy if I don't.

Oy. So back to buzzing around. I am finding things a bit more easier this past week or so. My body is starting to recognize that it can have some relaxation time on the weekends. That I don't have to push and push all the time. And while this outer stress dissolves, my inner balance seems to become a bit more settled.

All right, time to hit the showers. That was a good workout. Thanks for pacing me.

3 comments:

tall penguin said...

Be good to you. You're the only you there is.

Rahul said...

Perhaps you should consider filling your evenings and weekends with a part time law degree or something easy like a master's in economics...? You know, for a good distractions.

Actually, I think the weather can have a lot to do with crustiness. Missing the sun lately. /rd

Gayle said...

Thanks, guys.

TP: I am definitely the only me around...for which many people should be eternally grateful. ;)

RD: Your suggestions never fail to delight. Totally hear you on the sun. Winter seems longer and longer every year. What's up with that?